Jillian Benavidez's Reviews > Banewreaker

Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey

Sep 16, 2007

Recommended for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Read in August, 2007

I picked up this book because I enjoy the author - Jacqueline Carey - and her other series, Kushiel's Dart. She is an extremely talented author and I have not yet read a book by her that has not been wonderful.

This book, of course, is no exception and has not failed the high standards I set when reading Carey for the first time. As far as I am concerned, she is one of the very best fantasy writers. In this book, she has embraced the all-too standard fantasy setting of heroes, magic, dragons, and war, and has renewed what becomes stagnant in this genre. It's like reading this genre for the first time again.

The story itself is not told from the Heroes' point of view; there is your standard group of Companions; the warrior, the ranger, the archer, the sorcerer, and so forth. But rather, it is told from the 'bad guys' side, from the side that everyone is taught is supposed to be evil. The characters from whose view we see this story are not the good guys, but they're not the villains you're expecting; in fact, I've come to view the 'good guys' in the wrong light through this expert storytelling. What also makes this book so well worth reading is the fact that a lot of the story is seen through characters that most fantasy books consider 'minor'; they play major roles in this book unlike I've read anywhere else.

I am simply blown away by Carey and her ability to create characters that could be real, settings that are entirely viewable in the mind's eye, and by the way she writes.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banewreaker.