Julie Failla Earhart's Reviews > Dead Men's Dust

Dead Men's Dust by Matt Hilton

F_50x66
Mar 12, 09

Read in February, 2009

Meet Joe Hunter. He’s a new kind of action hero, or maybe anti-hero, depending on your point of view. Joe claims that “some people call me a vigilante. I’d rather think of myself as a problem solver.”
In Matt Hilton’s debut thriller, Dead Men’s Dust, Joe is out to solve all the problems. His half-brother John is missing and it’s up to Joe to find him. John is known to be a bit of a scalawag. His vice is gambling. Joe and John’s estranged wife are sure that his gambling has gotten him into a lot of trouble. Again.
John has left for the States, and Joe leaves England, not too far behind him. Joe has a friend in Florida, Rink, a friend from the old days Joe spent as a Special Forces counterterrorism agent. Together, they follow John’s clues cross country (most notably through Little Rock, Arkansas) on their way to Marina Del Ray, California.
Also traveling cross country is Tubal Cain, one of the most vicious serial killers I have ever read about. Tubal likes to collect souvenir’s from his victims---a finger, a thumb. He’s one scary dude.
The book’s chapters alternate between Joe and Rink and Tubal, keeping me on the edge of my seat. When they three finally start to meet, readers can expect twists, turns, bombs, and bullets for starters.
Two quotes from Joe led me to want to read Dead Men’s Dust. When asked what the most important lesson he’s learned from his experiences, Joe said, “At its most basic level, civilization shares one undeniable truth: the scream of a victim sounds the same the world over.” Scary, huh? The other quote is Joe’s basic philosophy of life: “You don’t hear the bullet that kills you.”
Dead Men’s Dust is the first in the Joe Hunter series. The next one has a tentative title, Judgment and Worth. If it’s half as good as Dead Men’s Dust, I’ll be glued to the couch the minute I get it.
Review originally appeared on www.armchairinterview.com

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Men's Dust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Hilton Thanks for the great review of my book Julie, it's much appreciated.Matt Hilton