Richard's Reviews > Then Again, Maybe I Won't

Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume

Mar 23, 09

bookshelves: kid-and-teen-lit, fiction, classic, bookclub
Recommended to Richard by: San Francisco Books & Booze Bookclub
Read in February, 2009

I read this for a real-world book club; it took about two hours to breeze through. Strangely, it was published in 1971 when I would have been twelve years old, just like the boy in the story, but I never heard of it then and was only vaguely aware of the author's name until now.

It struck me as a strange book. The prose was pretty juvenile, with short and uncomplicated sentences. Is it intended for 'tweens? I don't know, it seems a nice "I guess I'm not a freak after all" message might be good about then, but I didn't actually have any problems adjusting to early adolescence (now, mid- and late-teens with rebellion, generalized maladjustment and hair-trigger emotions: that was trouble). But at about twelve I think I was reading stuff like Christopher Johns' kid's scifi Tripod Trilogy (expected to be a movie in 2012!) and stuff like Old Yeller and My Side of the Mountain. Not introspective stuff.

My rating is based on the purely hypothetical question of whether I would hand this to a kid. Yeah, I would -- boy or girl, but probably a bit younger than the ages of those in the book. By the time kids are going through those changes, the privacy instinct is going to kick in pretty hard and they'll have a tough time asking questions about what they've read. I figure get this to them a bit before that hits and talk to them about the freaky stuff afterwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again, Maybe I Won't.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi It looks like I'm just a couple of years younger than you. (I was 10 in 1971.) I never heard of Judy Blume until I was in my twenties. I've never read any of her books. I always thought her books were more for girls. It sounds like this is one I should have known about a few years ago, before my son's voice changed.

Richard Yeah, it might be too late for him now :-)