Cheryl's Reviews > Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington

Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark

1994804
Feb 04, 09

I was motivated to read this book after my family visited Mount Vernon a month or two ago. The house and grounds are so beautiful, and George Washington's accomplishments, humility, and service to our country are very impressive.

After finding out that this book was fiction and written by a popular murder-mystery author, I worried that it would be trashy and poorly written, and unfairly portray George and Martha Washington as typical shallow, romance-novel hero and heroine.

To my happy surprise, it turns out that Ms. Higgins did quite a bit of historical research before she wrote Mount Vernon Love Story. I enjoyed learning about the Washington family and its friends, and even learned a few things about our country's battles against the French and the British.

Now I would like to read more about George and Martha Washington. Recommendations, anyone?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mount Vernon Love Story.