Steph's Reviews > Daniel Isn't Talking

Daniel Isn't Talking by Marti Leimbach

Dec 04, 12

bookshelves: fiction, romance, motherhood, autism, grief
Read from November 11 to December 04, 2012

Very enjoyable novel about motherhood and autism. As a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, I found everything -- from Melanie's fear, guilt, and grief when she faces the diagnosis to the infuriating frustration of dealing with professionals -- believable and easy to relate to.

Memorable quotes:

I've begun to understand that once you are a mother there is just no safe place to cast a vote. Everything you do, the consequences of every action, you will take to the grave. And there is no point in assigning blame.

Emily runs to him, holding the corners of drawings she's made. They flap in the breeze, showing colors all the way to the edges. Her best work, the ones for Daddy. It seems to me this habit she has of only showing him what she does best an ominous sign for the future. How can I stop my little girl from trying too hard for men? How can I show her that the best thing she can ever do it be herself, full of rough edges and the complex logic that is her own?

To ask a person to do nothing for their child or do very little is unfair. For them to do nothing means they have to fight the overwhelming desire to push away the danger, to run through the flames, to slay the dragon. However hopeless the situation might appear, it is infinitely more difficult to do nothing than an ill-considered something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daniel Isn't Talking.