Ashley's Reviews > A Small Place

A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid

Jan 06, 2011

bookshelves: essays-and-stories, non-fiction, masters-exams, class-gender-race, world-lit
Read in January, 2011 , read count: 2

Absolutely fascinating. Devastating. Jamaica Kincaid is one angry lady. This makes me never want to go vacationing to a tropical island. Ever.

"The thing you have always suspected about yourself the minute you become a tourist is true: A tourist is an ugly human being. You are not an ugly person all the time; you are not an ugly person ordinarily; you are not an ugly person day to day. From day to day, you are a nice person. From day to day, all the people who are supposed to love you on the whole do. From day to day, as you walk down a busy street in the large and modern and prosperous city in which you work and lie, dismayed and puzzled at how alone you can feel in this crowd, how awful it is to go unnoticed, how awful it is to go unloved, even as you are surrounded by more people than you could possibly get to know in a lifetime that lasted for millennia and then out of the corner of your eye you see someone looking at you and absolute pleasure is written all over the person's face, and then you realize that you are not as revolting a presence as you think you are. And so, ordinarily, you are a nice person, an attractive person, a person capable of drawing to yourself the affection of other people, a person at home in your own skin: a person at home in your own house, with its nice backyard, at home on your street, your church, in community activities, your job, at home with your family, your relatives, your friends - you are a whole person."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small Place.

message 1: by Jennie (new) - added it

Jennie I know I have read something by Jamaica Kincaid but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Hmm. In any case, I'm adding this to my To Read list.

Ashley It was probably "Girl." Look familiar?