Henry's Reviews > The Crown Conspiracy

The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2009

This is a very fun to read fantasy/adventure story that follows the adventures of two ordinary rogues thrown in to extraordinary circumstances. No dark lord here, fantastic armies, or farm boy destined to save the world. No fancy names I can't pronounce either. Just to rogues that get blamed for the murder of the king and are doing whatever it takes to stay alive. There is a fantastic setting in the back, but you learn about it as you go, so no need to take a course on it before reading the first chapter. While some people may not like the easy to read language (one of my favorite parts involves the use of the word "neat" by one of the characters) or the different take on elves and dwarves, I enjoyed myself a lot while reading it.

For drawbacks I would say it's short, but it was meant to be that way. It's in many ways, a tease of things to come. While it is a self contained book, you will end up by wanting to know more about the world and the characters in it. I still found myself hard to get attached to the main heroes. I feel like some of the other characters are more fleshed out than them (my favorite being a very naive monk), but I think there is a deliberate attempt to keep them somewhat mysterious as I suspect there is more to them than meets the eye.

I recommend this series to everyone who likes fantasy and adventure, but even more to everyone looking for a wonderful tale.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown Conspiracy.

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Hey Henry,
Great review - Glad you liked it - and you hit the nail right on the head...Royce and Hadrian are purposfully "glossed over" so that you can grow with them over time. I know it may be a disappointment to some but the hope is that they will be interested enough to learn more as the series continues.

Thanks for the nice recommendation.