Art's Reviews > The Boy Who Dared

The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Feb 04, 09

Recommended to Art by: Ms. Susan Bush
Recommended for: anyone interested in Hitler Youth, German Resistance, & Nazi Germany
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

What does “Fahrenheit 451”, “The Gulag Archipelago”, “1984”, and
“The Hiding Place” or perhaps you have heard of these people: Anne Frank,
Corrie Ten Boom, Dietrich Bonnehoffer, and Martin Niemoeller have in common w/”The Boy Who Dared”. These books and people, all deal with the
Theme of good people in controlling societies or government taking a
stand against evil. Ms. Bartoletti brings to life the true story of a young Hitler youth who dared to take a stand against the NAZI Government of Germany.
The Movie “Valkerie” has awakened to us that there was a resistance movement against Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Government. Helmuth Guddat Hubener starts out believing in everything that Herr Hitler offered the German people and that was work, food and the sense of pride in everything German. However Helmuth begins to question why Jews were a enemy of Germany, that authors and books he had read were now “verboten” and that he is being bullied by the older boys in the Hitler Youth group in which he first enjoy the outings and camping trips.
Truly Susan Campbell Bartoletti has done her research, going and talking to Helmuth’s older brother, his friends and those who actually knew the young man, both in and out of the Hitler Youth league.
“The Boy Who Dared” will cause one to pause about just accepting the “status quo” and that one’s beliefs are important to what makes each one of us unique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Dared.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by booklady (last edited Feb 06, 2009 04:35PM) (new)

booklady Good review. Is it a true story? I'm interested in your copy this book. Have you read any good books about the plot depicted by “Valkerie”?

Jilian booklady wrote: "Good review. Is it a true story? I'm interested in your copy this book. Have you read any good books about the plot depicted by “Valkerie”? "

Yes its a true story. Tragic but so very very good!

Anna I have read a lot of Holocaust books and seen a few Holocaust movies. My DVR is recording Valkyrie tonight. Looking so forward to it.
(this book is awesome so far - a few pages into it)

message 4: by booklady (new)

booklady My husband and I loved “Valkerie”. We watched it when it came out in the theatres and then bought the DVD. I'm also a student (of sorts) of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, by that I mean I admire him greatly, have read several of his works as well as seen several documentaries on him, read excellent two fictionalized biographies. His support in the plot to kill Hitler seems to have been negligible, but he was engaged in resistance efforts through the war years.

Anna Have you heard of Irena Sendler? Her movie (on YouTube) is called The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler. She smuggled 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto!!!

message 6: by Art (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art Anna wrote: "Have you heard of Irena Sendler? Her movie (on YouTube) is called The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler. She smuggled 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto!!!"
If I have, I need to re-read her story and watch this movie. Thanks for the heads up. Always looking at material printed.

message 7: by Art (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art booklady wrote: "My husband and I loved “Valkerie”. We watched it when it came out in the theatres and then bought the DVD. I'm also a student (of sorts) of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, by that I mean I admire him greatly..."
I found Dietrich in the story about the Twisted Cross. He is quite the exception to one would expect. He could have stayed here in the USA but chose to go back to Germany to suffer with his church and friends.
Valkerie is something, to think that had the Leaders not hesitated, Germany couldve sued for peace and things would have been different.

Anna A National Geographic documentary like Valkyrie is called 42 Ways to Kill Hitler (also on YouTube in one part) which profiles the 42 assassination attempts on Hitler's life.
Who worms out of 42 assassination attempts???