Rick's Reviews > Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling

202081
Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: biography, wrestling
Read in February, 2009

An excellent autobiography and one of the longest wrestling-related ones I ever read. I found it to be not only a fascinating read, but also something of a morality play. Hart exposes the in-fighting and seedy underbelly of prowrestling, but the whole time I was reading about this wrestler or booker or promoter playing political games, I couldn't help but be reminded of the grinding, soul-numbing bullshit I have to deal with every single day at work. So maybe this is more a look in the seedy underbelly of the whole human race.

Overall, I left this feeling depressed, as the overall story is depressing. So many people who Hitman knew died in tragic ways, he himself nearly crippled with a stroke and suffering through so many political games and bumbling fools in the last part of his career. He was truly scarred by the Montreal "screw-job," and I cannot blame him, having read his side in full. But it seems to have consumed him too. He has let go and forgiven Vince, but not some other players, and I think this will always haunt him.

Hitman is a survivor, who has made the best he can of the worst life can offer, but he has also lost so much along the way.

Great book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitman.