Alison's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's: And Three Stories

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Aug 14, 2007

Read in January, 2004

I am an avid (obsessive?) devotee of Breakfast at Tiffany's, the movie. I love Audrey, I love Mancini, I love orange cats and New York and parties and little black dresses. So I was a little apprehensive about reading the book, as I knew it was considerably different than the film, and I was afraid it might retroactively taint it somehow. But then someone gave me a copy, and I just couldn't resist. Before going in, though, I resolved to treat the book and film as two different but related entities.

This worked for me. It worked very well, in fact, and I'd recommend it to anyone with similar trepidation. Capote's novel is lovely, lyrical, and very, very sad. It's a perfect little time capsule of a tale. At the same time, it's fairly clear why the film version made (most of) the changes it did, and yet I can see why Capote was unhappy with them. But in my opinion, each work still stands on its own. Read it. See it. Repeat.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.