Luann's Reviews > White Sands, Red Menace

White Sands, Red Menace by Ellen Klages

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, historical-fiction, young-adult, ms-rec
Read in October, 2009

This is a very nice sequel to The Green Glass Sea. I loved being back in Dewey's world and finding out what happened next as she moved with the Gordon family to Alamogordo, New Mexico. World War II has just ended, and Dewey and Suze are in the eighth grade. Just as in The Green Glass Sea, the characters and the setting all feel very real. There were even a few shout-outs to us in the present day. This conversation between Dewey and Mrs. Gordon made me chuckle:
Dewey turned the gas burner on low and poured milk into the saucepan. "In Home Ec, Mrs. Winfield said by the time we're grown-ups, every kitchen will have an atomic-powered oven that'll warm milk up in thirty seconds, and pop popcorn in a paper bag." She stirred in sugar and cocoa power. "Do you think that's true?"

"Atomic-powered? No, kiddo, that's just science fiction. Pie in the sky. I did read about an oven that uses high-frequency electromagnetic waves to produce heat, but I doubt it'll ever be a common household object." She took a sip of coffee. "Wouldn't that be nice, though? Instant dinners."

I also chuckled over Dewey's conversation with her friend Owen about whether televisions were a reality yet. Then later he comes running to tell her that he saw his first television in a shop in El Paso - even though they didn't have any stations there yet.

As I said, this is a very nice sequel and I recommend it to anyone who read and liked The Green Glass Sea.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Sands, Red Menace.

10/17/2009 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

Lisa Vegan It was a worthy sequel, though I didn't like it as much as the first book, but I LOVED the first book.