Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Lust for Life

Lust for Life by Jeri Smith-Ready

Nov 10, 2012

The WVMP series is different from almost any other “vampire” series you ever read, it follows one female for the life of the series and in addition to the plots and subplots the main theme throughout the books is the romance between her and Shane (an undead DJ), I took this assignment on due to the "Rock & Roll" aspect of the books but that quickly becomes a secondary thing as you follow the life of Ciera Griffin. The difference I mentioned is with the vampires as the author writes them, in her version of vampires they are attached to the times they lived in and are somewhat ‘locked” on the time period they were turned into vampires, which gives a bit of depth to several of the subplots. They all are OCD to some degree (some more than others) and it adds a bit of lightness to some of the darkness of these books, I think one of the things I slowly enjoyed somewhere along the line was the authors ability to mix the light and dark aspects of these stories without coming off as inappropriate or stupid.

The last book in the series Lust For Life will be released on Nov 27th of 2012 and the series will end, the book closes pretty much all the loose ends and the hoped for HEA everyone has been looking for will be decided and it won’t be what you thought it would be. Ciera and Shane have weathered many storms in their struggles which revolved around a core of amazing characters (most vampires) who pose as DJs at the WVMP radio station playing music from the age they were when they were “turned” and it plays well. The picture of vampires presented in these books is far from the all powerful creatures in most other PNR/UF type novels, these are people with problems and emotions.

As far as the HEA I can only say the books ends in a suitable fashion and as with most good authors we are hit with an unexpected ending, but be forewarned that there is some tragedy along the way in these novels that you don't see coming (as most really good series have) which adds to the emotional impact of the series. This is an amazing series but, I fear the slow start is what doomed it although it has taken over 3 years to get the series to this point. I don't usually give a high recommendation to a series that moves as slowly as this one did but if you can hang in there with it by about halfway through book 2 you will be glad you did, the story picks up speed and the climatic ending will be appreciated by all readers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lust for Life.