Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox

U 50x66
** spoiler alert ** An incredibly sweet but intensely sad story about the relationship between the very young and the very old.

I felt that the story-behind-the-story added significantly to my enjoyment of the book.

The regular contact between Wilfred and the residents of the old people's home greatly contrasts with my limited experience. We took X-man to my grandmother's nursing home and were quickly overwhelmed my dozens of elderly ladies desperate for some contact with a baby. It seems sad that today there is such paltry contact between these two groups in society.

If you planned on using this book to explain dementia to children I would be wary. While, in my extremely limited experience, I'm amazed at what dementia suffers can remember it would be tragic for your child to collect up a series of items to prompt their memory and for it not to work.

The collaboration that worked so well with Possum Magic has come together again and produced another memorable book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge.