Liz's Reviews > Seek

Seek by Paul Fleischman

Mar 03, 09

liked it
bookshelves: coming-of-age, family-drama, fiction, teen
Read in February, 2009

An interesting book about a boy's coming of age and his search through the airwaves for his absent DJ father, Lenny. This book was unique in that it was written to sound/read like a radio drama. It would be great adapted for a stage performance!

I liked Seek for it’s groundbreaking format—the radio drama—because it gave a theatrical and technological twist to what could have been a more dark and depressing story. I thought the author conveyed Rob’s feelings and frustrations well in an interwoven autobiography and made the reader feel as though the story were being told over a scratchy radio frequency. There were a few instances toward the middle/end of the book when I thought Lenny would appear, like before Rose and Andy got married, and give good reason for his departure however, this didn’t happen until way too late (I thought) in the book. I thought the most noteworthy characteristic of Seek was the way in which Fleischman created a kind of symphony of voices with his multitude of characters, lending a melodic quality to a well-written novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seek.