Cara's Reviews > Hurry Down Sunshine

1990291
Feb 14, 09

bookshelves: memoir-non-fiction, book-club
Read in February, 2009

This was my pick for book club this month. I really liked it. I thought it was very honest and brave of Greenberg to write this story.

He writes about his experience of his daughter's first bout of mania. He tells not only about her breakdown, but also it's effect on himself and the rest of the family. I found it a very interesting insight into how the disease effects the diseased, but also the indirect effect madness has on everyone involved with the stricken person.

I thought the author wrote very intelligently and used a pleasing poetic prose. I was struck often while reading the book with the beauty of his words. The author tells the story with toned down emotion, but it works for him. Though his writing is unsentimental, the pain and stress placed on him by the event is very clear and transparent. He is man who obviously loves his daughter immensely and went to great lengths to care for her (and his mentally ill brother, Steve). Though, I do believe, he and the rest of the Greenberg clan, are eccentric and a little strange... a bunch of artists, writers, and creative types... a bloodline that seems to be the perfect breeding ground for mental illness.

I liked this book almost as much as I enjoyed "Beautiful Boy", which is another very touching personal memoir written by a father with a drug addicted son.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurry Down Sunshine.

02/09/2009 "I'll probably start this one tomorrow..." 2 comments