Christine's Reviews > The Worst Day of My Life, So Far

1955236
Mar 08, 09

bookshelves: don-t-bother
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Jeanne is a middle-aged woman coping with her divorce, her gay son's impending "coming out" and her brother's rocky marriage. Her father, the love of her mother's life and true life passion, develops diabetes and slowly slips away. After his death Jeanne relocates to rural Louisiana and begins her life as her mother's caretaker. Jeanne's mother has Alzheimer's and Jeanne is the only one who can handle caring for her mother.

Jeanne's brother and son accuse her of being over-dramatic - it really isn't that bad. They have no idea. The only person who steps in to help is Jeanne's sister-in-law, whom she despises for leaving her brother numerous times for more romantic men. Just as Jeanne and her sister-in-law develop a friendship and Jeanne starts getting some help caring for her mother from this woman, Jeanne's brother leaves her. The story ends as Jeanne breaks down a front door with her father's sword because her mother has set the house on fire.

If I was a person unlucky enough to be dealing with Alzheimer's in my family, this would probably be a very therapeutic book. However, since I can't relate this book was just depressing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Day of My Life, So Far.

03/03/2009 page 25
03/08/2009 page 240
83.33% "This book started out funny, and is now depressing. Please let me finish it soon!"
show 5 hidden updates…