Dina's Reviews > My Dearest Enemy

Apr 29, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, dik
Recommended to Dina by: K. from Amazon
Read in February, 2009

This was the first book by Connie Brockway I've read, but it won't be the last.

My Dearest Enemy has it all: it's funny and, at the same time, heartbreaking, Romantic - yes, with a capital "R"! - and has two of the most charming couples I've "met" in Romancelandia. Avery and Lily made me laugh with their initial witty banter, made me cry when their individual beliefs tore them apart, and made me sigh in happiness with their HEA.

There is NOTHING I can fault in this book. It's a keeper and I can see myself rereading it at least once a year in the future. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dearest Enemy.

Quotes Dina Liked

Connie Brockway
“Where will you go? What will you do?" he demanded.

"That need be no concern of yours--"

"The hell it isn't!" he shouted. "Everything about you is my concern."

She opened her mouth to deny this but the look of him stopped her. For a long tense moment he studied her and when he spoke his voice was low and furious and yearning.

"I don't give a bloody damn if I never share your bed, your name, or your house -- you are still my concern. You can leave, take yourself from my ken, disappear for the rest of my life but you cannot untangle yourself from my -- my concern. That I have of you, Miss Bede, for that, at least, I do not need your permission."

His words shocked her. She looked decades hence and she saw a specter of what might have been haunting her every moment, her every act, for the rest of her life.

"Your concern is misplaced."

"It's mine to misplace," he said steadily.”
Connie Brockway, My Dearest Enemy

02/15/2009 page 1
02/15/2009 page 185
48.18% "I´m really loving this book! The best witty banter I´ve read in a long time - if not, ever!"
02/27/2016 marked as: read

♡Karlyn P♡ Hi Dina - I just finished this one last night and thought to recommend it to you, but I see you've already read it! I loved it too, and the witty bantering was fantastic.

Dina Oh yes! Don't you wish Bernard's Biography of a Romance: The Unabridged Letters of Avery and Lillian Thorne was a real book? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

♡Karlyn P♡ Dina wrote: "Oh yes! Don't you wish Bernard's Biography of a Romance: The Unabridged Letters of Avery and Lillian Thorne was a real book? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)"

Yes, I would love to read all of the letters, with some narration that explains the truth of the matters of course. I liked how she just assumed he was making up his adventure stories. They cracked me up. Brockway can write. I planned to check if there was a book starring Bernard. I assume there isn't?

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Awesome review D!

Dina KarLynP wrote: "I planned to check if there was a book starring Bernard. I assume there isn't?"

I don't think there is, KarLynP, but if you find it, please let me know. :)

Dina Tammy wrote: "Awesome review D!"

Thanks, Tammy. It was written so long ago, when I was still a newbie at GR. Ah, those good old days when I had a manageable TBR/WL...

Beanbag Love I've only read on Brockway and I really enjoyed it. I've been meaning to get back to her -- maybe I'll start with this one. Great review, Dina!

Dina Thanks, Beanbag. I'm pretty sure you're going to like this one. :)

Eastofoz I didn't really like this one. I thought it was a bit blah overall and the h/h were't really together enough for my taste. It had a lot of potential but it never went all the way I thought. Maybe I was expecting too much I don't know.

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Yeah, I remember you didn't like this book, East. Your review broke my heart, LOL.

Eastofoz Dina wrote: "Yeah, I remember you didn't like this book, East. Your review broke my heart, LOL."

Oh man :(

:p

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina No worries, East. We'll always have Clint the Neanderthal to keep us on the same team, LOL.

Eastofoz Dina wrote: "No worries, East. We'll always have Clint the Neanderthal to keep us on the same team, LOL."

HAHAHA! Our man 'Clint' :D :p

message 14: by ELoisa (new) - added it

ELoisa R Romancelandia?? jajajajajaja i'll definitely read this book!

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina You must, Eloisa! :)

message 16: by Richa (new)

Richa Nicely put, Dina!! Have it...will give it a try sometime soon! :)

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina I hope you enjoy it, Richa! :)

message 18: by Christina ~ Brunette Reader (last edited Sep 26, 2014 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Ditto, my friend... I'm rereading also to properly review it as the first round was too many years ago... lol... but I'm going to have troubles making this book some justice :)

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina That reminds me... It's time I re-re-re-reread it too. The letters exchanged between Avery and Lily are one of the best I've ever read. *sighs*

message 20: by Christina ~ Brunette Reader (last edited Sep 26, 2014 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Dina wrote: "That reminds me... It's time I re-re-re-reread it too. The letters exchanged between Avery and Lily are one of the best I've ever read. *sighs*"

*sighs* in agreement :)

Bespectacledreader There is NOTHING I can fault in this book I agree! and it is indeed a keeper!

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina It's definitely time I re-re-re-read this book!

Bespectacledreader Dina wrote: "It's definitely time I re-re-re-read this book!"

I bet in the future I will also re-re-re-read this book! I will be ecstatic if I happen to find this book in a book sale :))

message 24: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Well, I can say you won't find my copy in any book sale. ;)