Hotavio's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Feb 10, 09

bookshelves: dystopian-societies
Read in February, 2009

An alleged high school mandatory read, though I can't remember being exposed to it in our defunct school system.

In this society, books are burned to keep thought from flowing, the world is at constant war with an unknown force, and people are under constant sedation via medicine or television (not too far from present reality).

Back when this was written, I am sure that this plot line was fairly original. Now, samples from this book are no doubt "borrowed" for modern day apocalyptic blockbusters. There were interesting themes throughout and several points to ponder. The ending wasn't dissapointing either.

I am not sure why this particular edition needed two introductions from the author Often recanting his testimony, in its entirety, the introduction made up a fifth of the length of the book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

Quotes Hotavio Liked

Ray Bradbury
“Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

02/03/2009 page 30
15.79% "The author reminisces on his euphoria for books" 2 comments
02/06/2009 page 90
47.37% "Some curious possibilities, television has completely replaced books. Seems prophetic (this was wrote preMTV)."
02/09/2009 page 160
84.21% "Almost there....will finish tonight...."

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla good. what will you read next? another fantasy book?