Tom's Reviews > Absalom, Absalom!

Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

1985111
Feb 03, 09

I like to think that Faulkner, were he alive, would've broken an empty bourbon bottle over the head of JRR Tolkien, and spit some tobacco juice on JK Rowling for their candy-ass prose and their contributions to increasing the laziness of readers everywhere. I further like to think that after he wrote,

". . . and opposite Quentin, Miss Coldfield in the eternal black which she had worn for forty-three years now, whether for sister, father, or nothusband none knew, sitting so bolt upright in the straight hard chair that was so tall for her that her legs hung straight and rigid as if she had iron shinbones and ankles, clear of the floor with that air of impotent and static rage like children's feet, and talking in that grim haggard amazed voice until at last listening would renege and hearing-sense self-confound and the long-dead object of her impotent yet indomitable frustration would appear, as though by outraged recapitulation evoked, quiet inattentive and harmless, out of the biding and dreamy and victorious dust. Her voice would not cease, it would just vanish."

That he put down his pen, flicked his cigarette butt in the air, and said, "top that Hemingway you fucking insecure little fuck!"

Though perhaps I have a romanticized version of him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absalom, Absalom!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara yes!!

matt ditto!

Diane Emery best review ever.

Karen I don't think Faulkner was into criticizing other writers, especially Tolkein- why should he? No need to.

message 5: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Indeed! And hilarious! I hate it when people compare Faulkner and McCarthy to Hemingway. Their writing isn't similar to Hemingway's at all.

James I don't think that is the point.

message 7: by Karen (last edited May 01, 2014 01:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen James wrote: "I don't think that is the point.

As hard as it is to read Faulkner, I think it must be incredibly difficult to read him I you aren't a southerner."

I don't, I've never even been to the south. His writing can be challenging but I love him. Certainly there are parts of his prose where I'm not exactly sure what he is getting at, but with careful reading (which is work) he is one of the best. And anyone can familiarize themselves with southern history.

message 8: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Wilson How he does run on ^.-

Kennedy I think people compare them so much because they compared themselves. They were constantly firing little shots at eachother. It's hilarious really.