Janet Leszl's Reviews > Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics

Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand by Dana Kollmann

1208750
Feb 03, 09

Read in February, 2009

Never Suck a Dead Man's Hand by Dana Kollmann
If you are at all squeamish about, well virtually anything, this book might not be for you. Then again, perhaps for that very reason you should read it. Most of us go about comfortable lives unaware of gruesome details associated with certain jobs necessary in our society. Television shows like the various incarnations of CSI have moderately raised public awareness of this particular field.

Dana Kollmann’s book strips away the glitz and glamour of Hollywood's version of the work they perform. Her vivid recollections help readers comprehend assaults on the senses (particularly smell) this line of employment endures. Narratives are filled with easily understood explanations of processes and sprinkled liberally with her humorous outlook on life. Some might find offense in the occasional cavalier attitude yet it becomes abundantly clear this defense mechanism is necessary to preserve sanity in this line of work.

Never Suck a Dead Man's Hand is highly entertaining and extremely informative. It should be required reading for starry eyed CSI wannabes. I now have a deeper appreciation for their skills, dedication and willingness to endure unspeakable circumstances in order to assess situational truths we as a society require.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand.