Matt's Reviews > Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls To Become All They're Meant To Be

Growing Strong Daughters by Lisa Graham McMinn

Apr 05, 09

bookshelves: relationships, parenting
Recommended for: Parents of daughters
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

I loved the emphasis of the book and especially that the author has raised three daughters of her own. I also like her honesty in the book, not pretending like she did the perfect job of parenting. Actually, it seems like it was pretty messy at times which is how a lot of parenting is.
Even though I am a Complementarian in the world of men's and women's roles, I always love to learn from a sister in Christ who represents the other side (Egalitarian). It helps me to see the weaknesses that many time appear in complementarian circles.
On a side note, it was frustrating how she misrepresents complementarians as hierarchical. I noticed two different occasions where she seemed to caricature the complementarians as hard core hierarchical authoritarians. The complementarian view has a high view of women, the difference is between them and egalitarians is of roles. This comes about through differing interpretations of Scripture. What is ironic is that I bought this book at a Desiring God conference with John Piper who is one of the key members of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. She mentions this in the book as a hierarchical perspective. It wasn't in a section called "Dangerous Literature from the other side!"
Anyway, I thought there was a TON of stuff in this book that I needed and will definitely use in continuing to raise my two daughters. She has helpful sections in the end of each chapter that are aimed at "Where do we go from here" type stuff that I plan on going through and talking about with my wife.
I also thoroughly enjoyed the chapter written by Lisa's husband on Fathers and Daughters.
I could write a lot more. Thank you Lisa Graham McMinn for writing a helpful book on girls.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Strong Daughters.