Shelley's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Alchemists

Read on March 02, 2013

*Genre* Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Steampunk
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

A Conspiracy of Alchemists features Eleanor “Elle” Chance a dirigible pilot with a taste for adventure who just happens to have something of a predetermined destiny in becoming the next Oracle or Pythia. The world in which Schwartz creates is one that combines the elements of urban fantasy, steampunk, and paranormal romance. The story is set in 1903 where the world itself is divided into two reigning factions: Light – those who are non-magic using humans who believe in science and Shadow - consisting of beings like Warlocks, Nightwalkers, Fairies, and Alchemists.

Hired by her docking agent Patrice Chevalier to fly a very important parcel from Paris to England, Elle is accosted, nearly kidnapped, and the package ends up being stolen away. To the rescue is the mysterious Warlock Hugh Marsh who ends up accompanying Elle back to London where she discovers that her famous scientist father has been kidnapped. Marsh is not only mysterious, but you could definitely tell that he was keeping secrets from Elle and revealing them only when necessary to the successful mission of retrieving her father. Unbeknownst to Elle, two warring sides of Shadow, the Alchemists and the Warlocks, are after her to use her gift for their own political and power-draining purposes.

Elle is a very interesting and enjoyable character that fights all stereotypes by being a female dirigible pilot and not caring about following in her father’s footsteps, or settling down and getting married to the first eligible bachelor that just happens to come along. It takes someone like Hugh Marsh to capture her attention and hold it. Elle enjoys wearing male designed clothing, has a lot of spunk and desire, and is probably a better shot than most men are.

This is a true steampunk novel and not just an afterthought to lure readers into a false sense of satisfaction, only to let them down in the end. I loved the gyrocopters and dirigibles of course. I loved the mixture of Vampires (Nightwalkers), Warlocks, Light and Shadow and the fact that Elle is the girl who casts no shadows and is destined to hold the realms of Light and Shadow together.

Obviously, since I’ve already read the second book in the series, I intend to continue reading Elle’s adventures and see what kind of mischief she can get into next.

*Recvd via Netgalley 11/12/2012* Expected publication: March 5th 2013 by Del Rey

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Alchemists.

03/02/2013
15.0% "Part II I love steampunk, so, this ought to be very interesting. Of course, if there's no INSTA-LUST I will be happy as well!"
40.0% "Chapter 24"
60.0% "Chapter 36"
80.0% "Chapter 46"

Talk Supe You liking it so far?

Shelley Talk Supe wrote: "You liking it so far?"

Yeah, it's not bad. At least there's no INSTA LUST to bring me down to the ground.

Talk Supe LOL I love that its rooted in Paris a little for a change

Shelley Talk Supe wrote: "LOL I love that its rooted in Paris a little for a change"

Paris, and part in Italy which I'd love to return to someday.

message 5: by Christianna (new) - added it

Christianna Marks Oooo, both Paris and Italy! I love both places!