Abby's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Aug 29, 2007

Read in August, 2007

So, I am still halfway through the Omnivore's Dilemma. A few things got in the way of digging back into its meaty, not-exactly-grabbing flesh: moving across the country, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the fact that my subway ride every morning is pretty short, etc. And then this weekend I took a touristing friend to the Strand and saw The Virgin Suicides. I remembered somewhat enjoying the kind of awful movie; I remembered reading voraciously through Middlesex. It was $6.

I bought it, I carried it around for two days, and last night while my Facebook Scrabble was having trouble loading and my computer needed a nap, I cracked it open. And stayed up till 2 AM reading the first half. It is delightful, touching but not twee. It's like a baby Eugenides novel, like a starter novel, but so carefully stacked up that it can't possibly be amateur. It makes me want to go read all of his scattered short stories and articles. It makes me want to anticipate his next novel like crazy.

The passage in Part Two in which the boys read Cecilia's diary and temporarily feel and know what it's like to be a girl on the most detailed, intimate levels is probably the best thing I've read in several months. The passage ends with: "We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn't fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them." It's just very honest and very boyish. It's lovely.

Anyway, I'll finish the book today. It's delightful. You should read it.

Ok, update: I finished it. The next day. All of the above. It was wonderful.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.