Jamie (The Title Page)'s Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

Nov 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: morbid-curiosity, reviewed-less-than-4-stars, reviewed-absolute-shit, reviewed
Recommended to Jamie (The Title Page) by: My own masochistic self
Recommended for: Nobody, unless you're looking to kill some brain cells
Read from November 09 to 13, 2012

Check out my other book reviews at my blog; The Title Page

Rating: -.5

I start off by mentioning that I completely knew what I was getting into when I started this novel. I had read enough negative reviews and mocking blogs to be prepared for the horrors that lie between the covers of this er-novel. I read it anyways. Call it morbid curiosity, call it a death wish, whatever you want.

As you may or may not have noticed, I did, in fact, rate this novel negatively. I have never rated a novel below 0 before (yes, even FSoG or Twilight). The reason behind my rating will (obviously) be in my review, but I wanted to point out now that this book actively offended me. Yes, she who has an immaturity level of a 12 year old and uses vulgar language without restraint is offended. Not easily, but it’s possible and P.C. fucking Cast seems to have hit the mark perfectly.

As I am so disgusted by the senseless drivel P.C. Cast has spewed from her hateful, ugly, repellant mouth, I will set this review up in a way I’ve done a few times before. My issues list.

Issue #1: And probably the biggest issue I’ve had in this book, is the way the author treats the topic of rape. At an early point in the story, Zoey stumbles upon a student performing fellatio on another. The boy was pushing the girl away and she forced herself upon him.

Later, when reflecting on the incident, Zoey comments to herself about how easy some girls are (not her, of course) and how guys should not use girls like that. I’m sorry… did you not hear him say no? Did he not actively attempt to push this girl away?

Rape is not a topic I like to face too often, but it is just as much sexual assault when a girl does it to a guy than vice versa.

Issue #2: Zoey is 100% irrevocably and completely a Mary-Sue. Which only makes it worse that she is based off of the author’s daughter almost entirely. Even her career goals are the same.
There is a point, about 65% into the book, where Zoey is completely confirmed in her Mary-Sue-ness.

""Zoey! This is amazing. I don't think there's ever been a High Priestess who felt all five of the elements." She nodded at my Mark. "It's that. It means you're different, and you really are."

This quote alone makes it official. No good writer should have such an obvious Mary-Sue. This is one of the reasons I am shocked and appalled that this book was published at all. For the other reasons, read Issue’s 1-5.
---
Not to mention, she is extremely hypocritical. She calls other girls sluts, ho’s, hags (that terminology shouldn’t even be used in a novel.. see Issue #5) and is in turn, much worse than said girls. I’ve heard this gets worse in the following novels.

And shallow. Zoey is shallow. I want to punch her shallow self in the shallow fucking face.

"Okay, I admit that I hadn't liked Elliot-no one had. The kid was annoying and unattractive."

Stop. Just stop. Someone being unattractive should NEVER be a reason for you not to like them.

Issue #3: I took it upon myself at one point to make a list of things Cast has ripped off of Harry Potter. Here it is, summed up.

1. Main character is nerdy, but cute.
2. She wears geeky glasses.
3. She has a special mark on her forehead that no one else has ever seen before ever.
4. She has a geeky, weird, and unstylish best friend (who happens to be the first person she met at the school)
5. She has a smart, brainy member of the opposite sex as one of her best friends.
6. She has two ‘twin’ friends who finish each other’s sentences.
7. Her enemy is popular and into dark magic.
8. Said enemy attempted to befriend main character before she became friends with her current group.
9. Has a pet that is better than everyone else’s.
10. The school is split up into 4 sections.
11. Her loyal friends show up in the end to be her sidekicks while she ultimately saves the day, and is rewarded for it as if she had done it singlehandedly.
12. The ending is MASSIVELY CORNY.

Those are twelve similarities between this novel and our beloved Harry Potter. Twelve. I would have more if I had stretched it a bit. But, twelve. Really?

Issue #4: I wanted to vomit at Cast’s writing. The spelling and grammar were horrendous, and her awful attempts to sound like a teenager resulted in a exaggerated prose of teenage whoredom. Not one single person in the world talks that way. Not even Paris Hilton (who you seem to hate so much). Name dropping will be brought up later.
And now, for some amazing quotes to further accentuate how terrible this teen prose is. Some of these are taken straight out of my updates.

"(I wish I had great boobs.)
"Huh?" I said. Speaking of boob- I was totally sounding like one. (Boob... hee hee)."

""Stupid boys" I echoed and smiled at her. If she thought boys were stupid, she and I would get along fine."

Sorry, I forgot the protagonist was seven fucking years old.

""Oh, no..." I whispered to myself, "it would be just my luck to get a raging case of diarrhea".

NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT DIARRHEA. FUCKING GROSS. NO!

Not one page ago, Zoey commented on how she expected there to be blood to drink at dinner. Is she really that slow that she can't remember her own through process? Or maybe it's just that she is so fucking stupid, she can't put two fucking things together. Vampires. Blood. Vampires. Blood. ARE YOU MAKING ANY CONNECTIONS?!

This is a vouch for the awful writing, the goddamn author can’t even keep her own thoughts straight. And no one talks like that! Even in their heads!

"...the typical cafeteria servers handing out food from behind buffet-style glass thingies."

Thingies. You can't make this stuff up.

""I have urine that needs to come out of my urethra."

If you drop the term ‘urethra’ in daily conversation, I am not your friend.

"Me gusta it de compras. (I like shopping.)* No me gusta cocinar. (I don't like to cook.)** No me gusta lavantar ell gato. (I don't like to wash the cat)***."

I added the asterisks.
* WRONG
** WRONG
*** WRONG.

"I really hate it when girls do that. I mean, yes, she's older, but I have boobs, too."

And there we have it. What every teenage girl has been wondering their entire life. To seem older and mature, all you need to have are boobs! I'm so glad the wonderful authors of this book were able to clear that up for us.

Issue #5: Every other sentence, Zoey and her friends drop the words ‘hag’, ‘ho’, or ‘slut’. Those are not okay terms to use in a novel, even if you’re trying to sound like a vain, hurtful little fuck.

And the name dropping. OH GOD, THE NAME DROPPING. Every other sentence, Michael Kors, Paris Hilton, or Ashton Kutcher was dropped! Not to mention The Amazing Race, Project Runway, and Gucci. I don’t want to watch TV ads, I want to read a fucking novel.

Those are my main issues with the novel. Of course, there are plenty more, but my review would be way too long if I included all of those. Just imagine the worst novel you've ever read, and multiply the horribleness of it by 7. Then imagine there are eleven sequels. ELEVEN!
And of course, I will read them because I like to torture myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

11/09/2012
12.0% "I got this novel for free and figured I'd read it, because Jessie Snarks is doing a read-along of it.
So far it reminds me of FSoG. Is this a new resident of my "Absolute Shit" folder? Wait and see ;)"
11/09/2012
18.0% "the author spells vampire 'vampyre' because they want it to be their own thing. Like how some books call fairies 'faerys, or fae'. Well guess what: Vampires have been around for a loooong time. They are not an original idea, and you are not an original author. Just look at how you're ripping off Harry Potter by making each book a school year."
18.0% "From P.C. Cast's GR page:

"with over 20 million copies in print, appeals to readers of all ages"

NO. Just.. no.

Also, just read: Her daughter (Kristen, the co-author) is studying to be a veterinarian. JUST LIKE THE PROTAGONIST! Go figure! The author models Zoey after her daughter. EVEN HER PROTAGONIST IS UNORIGINAL."
11/12/2012
23.0% "I'm feeling... Twilight"
11/12/2012
23.0% "I don't know if it's product placement or just name dropping, but I feel like I'm watching a series of television ads....

holy piece of crap novel, batman!"
11/12/2012
25.0% ""a crystal goblet that was filled with something that looked suspiciously like red wine. (Huh? Wine at school? What?)""
11/12/2012
32.0% "And here we are. Three paragraphs on how Zoey does her eye makeup."
11/12/2012
42.0% "Every crappy teen novel and it's mother has some little thing about how the main character is amazing at riding horses, or is a horse whisperer, or some fucking shit about horses.

I rode for 11 years, you don't see me throwing it every which way. I bet the author's daughter LOVES horses."
11/12/2012
51.0% ""And why would I want to do a drug that made me want to obsessively eat fattening snack foods?"

Obviously the author has never smoked pot."
11/12/2012
54.0% "I'm getting extremely confused. The author uses dialogue without explaining who is saying what.

Imagine:

""No wonder all he's good for is a snack bar." My stomach felt like it was being turned inside out.

"Wait, I don't get it."...."

The second line is Zoey speaking, but her description follows the first line of dialogue. This is how the entire book is written."
54.0% "In addition to my previous update:

"That was a very convenient wind." The cat muttered."

So now we have talking cats? No. The author is just an imbecile."
56.0% "Referring to joints:

"Heath," I tried to sound patient. "They are not safer than cigarettes."

If Zoey wants to act condescending, she should do her research. Pot is eons safer than cigarettes.

P.S. I am using the updates as my own personal notebook on the ick-novel."
11/13/2012
64.0% ""Lyke OMG I totes saw Aphyrdike tryin 2 giv Edwa-er Erik a BJ in da hall." Stevie-Rae gasped. "OMG no she didn't, wht a hag ho slut hore bich."

This is what I'm reading."
11/13/2012
66.0% "I have counted at least three times where her cat mutters. Is this an actual phrase people use to describe cat sounds, or is it just the author's stupidity again? I don't want to make the same mistake I made with Wheelbarrow again..."
11/13/2012
71.0% ""And you know that with great power comes great responsibility."

Blatant Spider-Man rip off. Or JFK, but Stan Lee wrote it first."
11/13/2012
83.0% "That cat sure complains a lot."
11/13/2012
86.0% "Are all of the cats in this story orange? 3 out of 4 so far have been. It's not even a common or attractive color for a cat."
11/13/2012
87.0% "Nala's trademark sound went from muttering to "me-eeh-uf-ow"ing.

-.-"
11/13/2012
89.0% ""Then she laughed as though she'd just made a huge joke (at my expense), turned her back on me, and with a hateful flip of her hair..."

Tell me, how exactly does one HATEFULLY flip their hair...

Is it like this?

Or maybe something like this

"
89.0% "

THIS. CHICK. MAKES. ME. SO. MAD. I'M. TALKING. LIKE. CHRISTIAN. GREY."

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith ""I have urine that needs to come out of my urethra."

If you drop the term ‘urethra’ in daily conversation, I am not your friend.
---------
Hohoho! ... I'm still laughing! Great review!