Kevin's Reviews > The Mammoth Hunters

The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel

M_50x66
Apr 22, 09

Read in March, 2009

Was very disappointed in this book. It just went on and on and on without getting anywhere. It would have definitely been better if it were half as long. I really liked the first two books. I thought the Clan was well done - their differences with the Others were well explained and consistent with how they lived. The second one was an interesting study of someone living alone. During Valley of the Horses, Ayla's inventions and innovations started to stack up a bit and were starting to edge into the ridiculous. Well, this book pushed her over the edge. By the time she invented needles and thread, I was pretty disgusted.

And the sex. I was thoroughly sick of the blow-by-blow descriptions of sex. Yes. We get it already. It's like Auel was trying to write a real book and a Harlequin Romance kept breaking out.

I guess now that she's with her kind of people, Auel just can't make it interesting. Kind of like Harry Turtledove. I loved the World War series because of his aliens - the people were made of cardboard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mammoth Hunters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Klemm It has been years since I read this series but, as I recall, I felt the same way. The first one was really good and they got progressively more rediculous as they went along.