Chris's Reviews > Roots: The Saga of an American Family

Roots by Alex Haley

Aug 14, 07

bookshelves: books-i-discuss-as-if-ive-read

Not having read "Roots" is one of my dark literary secrets. I never had to read it in highschool and have planned on reading it for years now, but everytime I go to pick it up I notice a)how thick it is, and b)that there's something else I want to read more.

I deny it in conversation, however, especially when I encourage my students to read it (How many times have YOU told a kids they'll love some book you yourself has never read? Come on, teachers, admit it).

B&N has some big desplay for the upcoming anniversary of its publication. Perhaps I'll use that as an impetus to finally pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roots.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen #1. I think the fact that you read but don't actually play "RPG"s takes you out of the "literary snob" category and places you squarely in the "what the heck" category.
#2.When I first started teaching I heard Jim Trelease speak. He was all hopped up on Harry Potter and thought it necessary for teachers to read it in order to converse intelligently with their students. Pleh! I just couldn't do it. I tried but I couldn't. Then it occured to me that Harry Potter was doing just fine on his own. The last thing he needed was me to promote him. So I started reading the less popular (at our school anyway) Series of Unfortunate Events and promoted the heck out of those...sucessfully I might add (I think Sarah and I read several to our class).
Sooooo if Roots is about to experience an anniversary, I say step back and let everyone else do the talking. Spend your time reading things similiar to Roots so that when it's been read or promoted or poo-pooed by kids you can say "yes, but have you heard of this". Maybe it will be a bridge from one to the other in either direction.
p.s. I had Roots, with that same cover for a super lotta years. Wasn't assigned it in high school either but did steal it from there none the less (for the record I don't do that- the stealing of books- anymore) with great intentions to read it and finaly had a reality check and passed it on after traipsing it back and forth to NJ, Texas and Spain without getting past the first few pages.