Joannah's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: field-review, own
Read from November 08 to 11, 2012

This review refers to the unpublished manuscript. The final bound copy of this book has not been read.

Normally I do not summarize the plot in my reviews, but the synopsis both here and on Amazon is terrible in my opinion.

In this retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, Princess Petunia is the youngest of the King’s 12 daughters. On her way to visit an elderly friend of the family, her coach is robbed in the middle of the woods by a group of bandits wearing wolf masks. One of these bandits is Oliver, a disenfranchised former earl, who abducts Petunia to protect their identities without realizing who she is. His mother, however, recognizes her immediately and Petunia learns things about her father’s kingdom that she never would have believed.

When she continues on her journey and reaches the estate of the elderly Grand Duchess, strange things begin to happen and frightening nightmares plague both the Princess and her eleven sisters. It was just ten years prior, when Petunia was only six years-old, that the twelve girls were almost lost forever to an evil King whose kingdom had been banished to a between-worlds place of eternal darkness, as he promised each of his sons would marry one of King Gregor’s daughters.

Oliver, Petunia’s three brothers-in-law, and a few mysterious members of the court are determined to save the Princesses and seal the gates of the banished kingdom forever – if they can find it.

I gave this book four stars in consideration of the age group it is designed for, rather than reviewing it as an adult reader. This book won't be winning any awards, and is unlikely to appear on summer reading lists in schools, but it is a entertaining read for young female readers ages 9-13 or so who enjoy princess stories and fairy tale adaptations. Girls who read and enjoy this book are likely to become fans of Gregory Maguire in their later years.

As an aside, the cover of this book is absolutely stunning and I hope Bloomsbury doesn't change it before the final printing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.