Pacita's Reviews > Black Skin, White Masks

Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon

F 50x66
Nov 08, 12

Read this in college and it is a fantastic philosophical portrayal of the identity crisis many black people raised in a colonial and post-colonial environment encounter. This book focuses more on the black intellectual, particularly the black diaspora from the Caribbean and Africa. For anyone, like me, who is part Caribbean and African this is a must read. Helped with an inner self realization that comes with recognizing the universal qualities of blackness and the repercussions of colonial influence on black identity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Skin, White Masks.

Quotes Pacita Liked

Frantz Fanon
“I am black; I am in total fusion with the world, in sympathetic affinity with the earth, losing my id in the heart of the cosmos -- and the white man, however intelligent he may be, is incapable of understanding Louis Armstrong or songs from the Congo. I am black, not because of a curse, but because my skin has been able to capture all the cosmic effluvia. I am truly a drop of sun under the earth.”

Frantz Fanon
“The Negro enslaved by his inferiority, the white man enslaved by his superiority alike behave in accordance with a neurotic orientation.”

Frantz Fanon
“[Educated blacks] Society refuses to consider them genuine Negroes. The Negro is a savage, whereas the student is civilized. "You're us," and if anyone thinks you are a Negro he is mistaken, because you merely look like one.”