Valerie's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Sep 30, 14

bookshelves: sci-fi
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
Read in February, 2009

This book is was very overwhelming for me. I felt like it could really happen. After I read half the book I honestly wanted to go to the grocery store and get as much food as I possibly could. It showed me how fragile our lives really are, and I was reminded again what really is important in life. Miranda grows so much, at first I think she sounds a bit spoiled but she grows out of it. And you see what people are truly capable of. As the story progresses things get worse and worse. That is what made me want to put the book down but I really just had to know how it ended. And the end gave you something to hold on to.
191 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

02/08/2009 page 10
02/14/2009 page 200
59.35% "It just keeps getting worse and worse."
show 3 hidden updates…

Ruthanne I'm reading this now, and I've been considering becoming one of those super couponing hoarders with food.

Valerie Maybe I'll be one of those jar/preserve ladies.

Jessica I DID start buying loads of canned food & water for about 2 months after finishing this. I couldn't help myself. Every time I thought about it, I got very nervous!

message 4: by Nancy (last edited Oct 03, 2012 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nancy Brady Check out Shrader Marks: Keelhouse for a similar book--personally I think it is better. Through tomorrow, it is in a giveaway! Consider signing up for it.

Valerie Don't think I've heard of it I'll into it thanks!

Ajoerg16 I agree! I really enjoyed this book!

Valerie I know, if nothing it definitely made an impression on me.

message 8: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina M Hi, thank you for the helpful review. I just had a question. Although I am very intrigued and interested in this series, would you still recommend this book to someone who is very scared and sensitive to ''end of the world'' type books or movies? After watching 2012 I couldn't sleep for a couple of nights...

Valerie Since I usually don't get as much of an impact while watching movies as I do with books so I'd say no. I watched 2012 as well and felt less overwhelmed than I did with Life as We Knew It.
End of the world books are always hard for me and I like going into one prepared so I usually have a funny book at the ready. If you do decide to read this series that is what I recommend. Hope this helps.

message 10: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina M Thank you for your helpful response! :)

message 11: by Kyra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra I felt the same way. I'm about to start the second one. I thought the book was amazing, but so realistically haunting.

Valerie I know, I think the second one was my favorite.

message 13: by Kyra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra Oooh! Now I'm even more excited!

Kristina OMG, I felt the same way! My daughter and I were listening to the audiobook in the car and I kept checking gas prices. Then when we got home and my mom was watching tv, I was like, "Horray we have electricity! What is the news saying?" So surreal...

Valerie You really feel like embracing your refrigerator and thanking it because it still works and has food. Thank goodness books don't require electricity, you can stock up and they won't go bad.

Berni I wanted to grab every canned food I could find!!!

Valerie Hands down the most daunting part of the whole book (for me anyways). FOOD.

Eleanor You're not alone!

Valerie Thanks Eleanor.

message 20: by Kristine (new) - added it

Kristine Loved the book read it in one sitting started at one pm til three am. must read!

Cosette Girardot One of my favorite things to do while reading is to sit out on my front porch; watch the sunset, drink some lemon aid, read a book. However, with Life As We Knew It, I frequently found myself pausing and putting down the book. I would find myself breathing heavily, as I had held my breathe for so long throughout the reading. I'd have to readjust to the light and happy moods surrounding me those summer evenings which was in such stark contrast against the fear and darkness within the book. At first I felt myself skimming in order to read the actual trauma faster, yet once I got to those parts I found the events so realistic and terrifying, in the way a Steven King novel would be, that it was difficult to handle in large quantities.

Valerie That sounds like such a great reading spot Cosette. I understand needing a breather all too well with books like this. I feel like I'm surfacing from being underwater for so long and realizing all I had to do was stand up to see it's okay.

message 23: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose me to i we constantly looking at the moon and now i have a lot of caned food in my basement

message 24: by Supritaa (new) - added it

Supritaa This book reminded me of many things that happened to me and it is a wonderful book I could ever have read<3

zack a keller The third was undeniably my favorite

Valerie @Rose- This is undeniably the most impactful dystopian book I've read. Maybe because it was my first or maybe the writing is just that good. Either way I understand the canned foods in the basement.

@Supritaa- I'm glad you found Miranda's situation so relatable though I can't myself say I've gone through anything like her situation.

@Zack-I'm glad you liked it Zack. Have you read the fourth?

message 27: by Juna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juna Shinohara I absolutely love this book! It us so different from end of the world books in that the characters really feel like people you could know and the situation that becomes the focus of how the world can change so suddenly is so plausible that This book now haunts my thoughts at least once a day. I have read it so many times cover to cover that it really makes me want to plan a strategy if something like this were to happen, down to finite details because this book really makes it feel like it could really happen at anytime.

Valerie I completely understand you Juna. This is probably one of the reason why I haven't read the book again. It scared me how plausible it sounded and I personally don't like being scared.

Hailey Bravetti I have read all 4 books.. by far the 4th I'd my fave!!

Valerie That is great Hailey!

Summer C.J I felt the same way half way through this book. I sat it down and thought - we don't have enough canned foods. I just bought the fourth book and I'm very excited to re-read the other three to relive the experience. You just become so immersed in the story that you start worrying like the characters worry and you really start to feel for the characters. I know the third book absolutely wrecked me. (which is very surprising since it is after all the smallest of the series)

Valerie I think this one hit me more than other dystopia because it was first of all my first real dystopia book and second the characters are not these heroes. You still see remnants of what used to be normal and how its changed.