Dina's Reviews > Lord of Scoundrels

1918270
Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in February, 2009

Having read this book praised all over the net, I confess I was a bit afraid of being disappointed. In the end, I WAS somewhat disappointed, because it didn´t wowed me as much as I expected. I really liked LOS, but it's not my #1 all-time favorite book.

What I loved:

1- The hero and the heroine, Jessica and Dain, were not like the standard characters so common in historical romances, that is, the gorgeous hero and the naive heroine. From the beginning, I was captivated by characters who "broke the mold", so to speak. I particularly loved Jessica and her honest acceptance of her attraction to Dain.

2- The dialogue was amazing. Jessica and Dain's interactions were very amusing and I found myself laughing several times.

3- LC's writing style was paced with witty and funny remarks, that kept the story flowing seamlessly.

What I didn't like (and prevented LOS from being a keeper):

1- To put it simply, I had some problems with Dain's sometimes "childish" behavior towards Jessica (okay, it was funny at first, but enough is enough and it only made him look stupid in the end). His inital refusing to accept his bastard son wasn't something to be admired either.

2- The secondary characters, especially that awful Beaumont and that silly Ainswood, were like "caricatures" and didn´t have much depth.

All things considered, it was still a book worth reading and I had a pleasant time doing it. :)
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Scoundrels.

02/05/2009 page 120
show 4 hidden updates…

Eastofoz I agree with a lot of your points Dina good and bad. It was a 5 for me because I thought the writing and banter between Dain and Jessica outshone the other stuff and were exceptionally well-done. Love/hate relationships with miserly alphas are my favourites too(lol!)

Dina I loved the writing and banter between Dain and Jessica too, but when I found myself wanting to smack him for his childish behavior too many times to count, I had to take a star out. Jessica knew how to put him in his place, though. :)

Catherine Great review!

I, too, expected to be wowed. The way I've seen this book referred to in various blogs made it seem like it was The Best Book Eva! Now, I thought it was a lot of fun, and I've done multiple rereads, but I still saw a lot of issues with it.

I had a problem with how Dane treated his son too. The secondary characters would have been a lot better if they were fleshed out, like you mentioned. I remember I kept getting names confused because none of them had a defining characteristic to help me keep straight who was who. Except for poor Bertie of course. :) One of my biggest problems was with the storyline surrounding his mom.

You can check my review out here if you want to.

Dina Yup, yup, yup! I just read your review and we're on the same page. This was a very good book, but not The Best.

BJ Rose Great review, Dina! I also liked this book 4* worth, but The Last Hellion was a strong 5* for me. Nobody could read that prologue and stay unaffected.

Catherine BJ Rose wrote: "Great review, Dina! I also liked this book 4* worth, but The Last Hellion was a strong 5* for me. Nobody could read that prologue and stay unaffected."

That prologue was so sad.

Lisa Kay Great review, Dina. You bring up several good points; I think it is time for a re-read for me as it has been so many years since I've read it.

Dina Thanks, ladies. :) The Last Hellion was also a strong 5 stars to me, and that prologue was incredible. So good!

Lisa Kay If anything, I need to re-read it just to see what color her hair is. Could these covers be any more different?
Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina LOL! Never trust the cover of a romance book, Lisa Kay.

message 11: by southpaw285 (last edited Apr 21, 2011 12:02PM) (new) - added it

southpaw285 Lol. Right you are, Lisa Kay. It's kind of like the heroine being described in the book with "chestnut hair", and the cover of the book actually showing the heroine with "fiery red hair"...lol. Although, in this day and age, some of us are using e-readers, so what does it really matter, right?

I must say though that using a Kindle, I do tend to miss the beautiful covers from time to time. I wonder if that technolory will change.

Lisa Kay Man-oh-man! I learned that lesson loooong ago! Well, at least on an intellectual level. But I occasionally lapse. Isn't it Shawna who calls herself a book-cover-ho? Yup, I can relate to that and slip sporadically.

Sometimes I just caress a beautiful cover - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - in a bookstore until I’m afraid I’ll get arrested...

Adrienne Marie I think she should have created a better villan. That is exactly what was missing from this book. No one cared about the painting or the villain. I enjoyed the first half of this book a lot, but the 2nd half not so much.

Adrienne Marie Oh, and the story line involving his son. yea I did not like that either!

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Another reader who wasn't wowed by LOS! :D

Adrienne Marie I would have given the first half 4-5 stars. So I should read The Last Hellion? Its written the same of LOS but with a better ending?

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Yes, you should read TLH, Adrienne. It's much better than LOS, IMHO. :)

Bespectacledreader I love the witty remarks :]

Deranged Dreamer The way he first mentions the illegitimate son is really putting me off.

message 20: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Sorry to say this, but the way he talks about his son doesn't get better, Deranged.

Deranged Dreamer :( I'll keep reading for now. But I have a soft spot for children. Not sure how much till I flounce. Thanx