Raylene's Reviews > Black Skin, White Masks

Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon

Jan 11, 13

bookshelves: read-in-grad-school-for-leisure
Read from November 20, 2012 to January 10, 2013

Interesting read, but to be honest I kind of had to force myself to finish it and wondered the whole time why this book is so talked about. I don't know if it matters that I read this before reading "Wretched of the Earth" or that I read many other pieces in this vein first, but it felt like it was kind of all over the place. It also may be that the psychoanalytic framing of the book made it off-putting. That said, I think the biggest contribution of the book for me were just getting a peek at some of similarities in the Black experience outside the US and that of Black people inside the US. Also, I think the book is helpful in contemplating what agency would look like for people of color, the ways that white supremacy permeates life in its entirety, and the complexities of the psychological experience of Black people when trying to understand why oppression isn't merely physical deprivation or physical abuse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Skin, White Masks.

Quotes Raylene Liked

Frantz Fanon
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are
presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new
evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is
extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it
is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,
ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”
Frantz Fanon, Black Skin, White Masks

12/02/2012 page 160
66.0% "I'm reading this as an eBook on Kindle, so this is an estimate based on the fact that I'm on chapter"
12/02/2012 page 160
66.0% "I'm reading this as an eBook on Kindle, so this is an estimate based on the fact that I'm near the end of chapter 6."