Christina's Reviews > The Alcoholic

The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames

Feb 12, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: crap-no-one-should-read, autobiography, graphic-novels, fiction
Recommended to Christina by: Jim's former co-workers
Recommended for: No one
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

I didn't have any expectations about this book, and I still hated it.

"The Alcoholic," which is actually written by Jonathan Ames and drawn by Dean Haspiel (stupid Web site people), is about Jonathan A., a young man who starts drinking at the age of 15, really enjoys drinking, and becomes (guess what?) an acoholic. The book is about his troubles with alcohol and his visit to rehab and his relapse into alcoholism.

I'm sure I'm probably supposed to think that parts of the book are really funny. And I'm sure that at some spots, I'm supposed to feel really bad for Jonathan A.

But I don't.

The books reads to me as a series of really stupid choices.

And, frankly, those choices are boring. Oh, drinking is so cool... Riiiiigggghhht. I drink because Hunter S. Thompson and Ernest Hemingway and Jack Kerouac drank, and I want to be just like them. Riiiigggghhhht. Oh, I drink because I'm heartbroken over the loss of my best friend. Riiiiiggggghhhht. Oh, I drink because I'm heartbroken over the loss of the girl I loved. Riiiiigggghhhht. Newsflash: Everyone goes through that stuff. And anyone who says they haven't is lying. And most people find better ways to cope than drowning themselves in booze.

Jonathan A. strikes me as just a selfish jerk who makes stupid excuses for his bad habits.

And writer Jonathan Ames strikes me as a pretentious ass-clown who used a graphic medium (which can be truly wonderful when used properly) to disguise a really poorly written story.

I might have been more impressed if Ames had actually made the effort to describe some of the people and events in the book - you know, with words.

But I guess I'll get off my soapbox now, and sum up this review by telling you that I think this book sucks.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alcoholic.

Candice You're right about a lot of your review, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people do cope with booze. If you don't sympathize with alcoholics, that's understandable. But vice, like this, is still not an uncommon tale and a pretty big part of the human experience. I just felt like reaching out to you and saying that.

Jenn Thanks, Candice. I feel exactly the same way.