AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

bookshelves: gender-studies, memoir
Read in October, 2012

Teton County Library Call No: 305.42 MORAN C

Christy's Rating: 4 Stars
The cover of this book claims it is "the British Bossypants," which I think is an odd comparison (other than the fact that both are entertaining and authored by independent, successful women). This book is written in a way that comes off as memoir/feminist manifesto/box of hilarity. I laughed out loud many times and felt validated in my thought process/actions/emotions many times more. I read it straight through in a weekend or so- it was delightful, and felt like I was hanging out with an older sister who is clever, outspoke and British.

Marisa's rating: 4 stars
I picked up Caitlin Moran's "How to be a Woman" thinking it might be just a purely humorous memoir. The book cover even compares the book to Tina Fey's "Bossy Pants". While I can see how the two books might be compared, they are not much alike. Yes, they are both written by funny women, who discuss their past embarrassing antics. However, Caitlin Moran is a "strident feminist" (in her words) and uses her book to bring feminism back into the lexicon of women around the world. She uses her embarrassing anecdotes to promote how women should embrace ourselves, our bodies and our capabilities (Fey does this as well but perhaps less explicitly). Moran includes references to to her favorite feminist writers and thinkers, creating a book that is both laugh out loud funny and smart. I can admit: I wouldn't mind have a friend like Caitlin Moran.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.