Ilze's Reviews > Winter Trees

Winter Trees by Sylvia Plath

Feb 02, 09

Read in February, 2009

It's with a fair amount of shock that I discovered a poem or two in here that were not collected in The Collected Poems. When I did my thesis, the latter is all I based my work on, thinking it's a "collection" of all her work ... for starters, there's : Winter Trees

The wet dawn inks are doing their blue dissolve.
On their blotter of fog the trees
Seem a botanical drawing-
Memories growing, ring on ring,
A series of weddings.

Knowing neither abortions nor bitchery,
Truer than women,
They seed so effortlessly!
Tasting the winds, that are footless,
Waist-deep in history-

Full of wings, otherworldliness.
In this, they are Ledas.
O mother of leaves and sweetness
Who are these pietas?
The shadows of ringdoves chanting, but chasing nothing.
______________________________________________________________

"Obviously!" I hear you exclaim ... but I wasn't aware of it! For some freaked out reason I thought "Winter Trees" was another biography of the poet - and by the time you've been through enough of these biographies, they all sound the same!

But why turn this poem into the title of the work, I wonder? The collection seems to be a fistful of poems that have little connection other than when they were written ... most of the other poems have a greater emphasis on the mirror and mirror images (rats! if only this had come to my attention BEFORE the completion of the thesis!) ... any reading of psychologist Donald Wood Winnicott will shed more light on this image ... perhaps these poems don't have the feel of completion to them, as do the Ariel poems (admittedly some remain the same), but I still prefer Anne Sexton!

PS ... I must've confused it with Wintering

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Trees.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barton (new)

Barton  Young I'd love to read your thesis.

Ilze Hi Barton,

My thesis, a comparative study of Ingrid Jonker, Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton using Jungian Analysis, was written in Afrikaans. Perhaps if you need some questions answered I could lend a hand?

Ilze