L.S.'s Reviews > The Collector

The Collector by John Fowles

Feb 02, 2009

bookshelves: 2009
Read in February, 2009

I found this book very hard to put down. If I did not have to go to work I would have read it in 1 day, 2 at the most. It is a thriller. It is pathological. It is human. I am listening to synesthesia by porcupine tree. At first sight I did not like the ending, I was expecting something more. But I realized that this is not a romance or a love story, this is life. It is a perfect ending, it is like the end of a Hollywood movie in which the psychopath is out there and ready to find another victim. I like the style of the author in which the same story is presented from the points of view of the two characters.

Fowles - as I saw it from the novel - presents Miranda losing her faith (although she seems no religious person, she does seems at first to believe in God). The trip may be his trip: the suffering and the un-justice from her world (the real world in which Fowles lives). First he shows a god who cannot feel, cannot love, only a far-away deity. After that from the two or three pages I see that Miranda gives up faith entirely. God is not necessary, in fact there is no god, and not only that, but in the last pages that Miranda writes he suggests that faith is only for the deluded ones, that faith is a sickness. Amazing, I seem to like atheistic existentialists (like camus or sartre too). That is not because I agree to their worldview, but because I see beyond them. To a superior level.

Quotes, in Romanian as usually:

“Ceea ce simt este ca Dumnezeu nu intervine. Ne lasa sa suferim. Dumnezeu nu ne poate auzi. Nu are nimic uman in el; nu poate sa auda, nici sa ne compatimeasca, nici sa ne ajute. Nu-i pasa de indivizi. Ii e indiferent de cine e trist si cine nu e. In consecinta nu exista. Trebuie sa traim ca si cum n-ar exista Dumnezeu. p. 253

“Il urasc pe Dumnezeu. E incapabil sa ne iubeasca. Ne uraste pentru ca nu ne poate iubi. p. 295

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector.

01/08 marked as: read