Melissa's Reviews > My Life

My Life by Bill Clinton

Sep 04, 2007

Read in September, 2007

I listened to this abridged audio but I liked it so much, I'm thinking of reading the much longer unabridged book! Bill Clinton was awesome, despite his brushing over his welfare reform, which was the worst thing he did while in office. Also, I'm all about Hilary now, I'd totally vote for her. People who just hate Bill Clinton for some reason or other should really read this book. I think it really humanizes him and shows just how many powerful people were working against him, going to any lengths to vilify and destroy him. I really liked the part at the end when he talks about how close he came to brokering a two-state solution to the problem of Palestine and Israel, but how Arafat -- who was getting older and, we later found out, very close to death -- turned it down despite everyone encouraging him to take the deal. Arafat tells Clinton that he is "a great man" and Clinton responds, "No, I'm a failure, and you have made me one." That gives me chills, for some reason. Oh, if only things had turned out differently!! And if only George Bush hadn't stolen that election, Al Gore was so rad. It fills me with longing and regret to hear about the Clinton years. It's really important to vote Democrat. They're really good at running government but not very good at politics and electioneering -- just the opposite of the Republicans. Sure, they've got their faults, but they'd be able to accomplish a lot more if progressive people would support them instead of falling victim to the aggressive propagandizing by people who would do anything to destroy them.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life.

Kimberly You should really listen to the unabridged. It is very long. I've had it with me on two 6 hour car trips, and then some, and it is inspiring.

I am totally about Hillary now, too, and this is helping me to like her more as a "human" which I have not always felt, despite my support of her as a politician.

message 2: by Del (new) - added it

Del Herman Welfare reform was actually the best thing done in the Clinton years. Why? Because after welfare reform was passed, not only did welfare rolls drop but so did unemployment. Welfare reform made welfare a leg up, not a crutch. It also restored a sense of human dignity to the role of government in combating poverty. It gave people the security they needed to have a cushion to fall down on without giving them a hammock to lay in for eternity. Welfare became a sharper, stronger organism under the leadership of Bill Clinton and the New Democrats. I personally object to claims that welfare reform was some sort of cruel, right-wing maneuver. Obviously welfare reform didn't cripple the poor. Just because a government program was cut, doesn't mean that Clinton didn't make the right decision. Government programs are great only if they work how they were intended. Clinton made sure welfare worked as it was intended to work.