Kerri's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Mar 07, 09

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2009

I think this was an enjoyable read that taught me a lot about the lives of geisha. Sayuri and her sister and taken from their home and sold into a geisha house. Only they are separated as Sayuri will eventually become a Geisha and her sister will only become a prostitute. Sayuri goes through the training while being tormented by the head geisha of the house, Hatsumomo. Sayuri eventually becomes a geisha and is a favorite because of her rare gray eyes, and bidding soon begins for her virginity.

A good book and interesting how friendships between women are soon broken due to competition between one another. Their never seems to be a solidarity between women, especially between Sayuri and her "older sister" or mentor, Mameha. And even though in the end she seems content, I think Sayuri is a lonely character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

02/02/2009 page 254
58.53% "Read up to page 254 on a 9hr train ride, a little disappointed that I didn't finish it."

Michelle i <3 this book so much!!!!

Kerri I know its sooo good! I can't believe it took me so long to read it and that its taking me such a short time to finish it! Its really a hard book to put down.