Charlotte's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

F_50x66
Nov 08, 12

I think of myself as a terrible cook. Probably because I once set salmon on fire in the over. I don't know; don't ask. I have assisted others and with the use of an alarm, handily purchased by my wonderful significant other, I can stay focused enough to cook on my own. But to can? To make mayonnaise? I live in a city. We have delis for that kind of thing. For the same reason, I never have too many tomatoes or zucchinis. Or an excessive amount of fall squash. And yet, and yet, for some reason I do sometimes find myself with too much fruit, or tomatoes, because they are on sale and I say to myself, well I should get a lot and do something with them. This is where Alana's wonderful book has kept me from watching food go bad, an experience that makes me cringe after being raised in impoverished third world countries. And you know, why not make mayonnaise? Just to say you did it? And then discover that it is actually so much better! Okay, the toaster pastries that everyone raves about-haven't made them, not my thing, but they sound good. In other words, you will find these you want to make, things you don't, but because of the stories it is all engaging. For those who like to read cookbooks rather than make food from them, this book is a sheer delight!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.