Rebecca's Reviews > How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

Feb 01, 09

bookshelves: food
Read in February, 2009

I went to the used book store the other day with some cast-off hard-backs to trade in. I shoved several lounging cats aside, and found all 944 pages of this tome. The shiny "Julia Child Cookbook Award" and "James Beard Foundation Cookbook Award Winner" stickers intrigued me. So did the Washington Post quote, "Think of it as a more hip Joy of Cooking"
Them's fightin' words. I'm a Joy devotee. But flipping through, I was intrigued. I like the illustrations, the larger print, the informative lists and inset boxes.... So I traded in my castoffs (sorry Yiddish Policeman's Union) and brought it home.
So far, I feel a little weird about it. Like I've brought home somebody else's grandma to pretend to be my grandma. It's nice and all, maybe there's some stuff that's even better about this grandma than about my own, like maybe her recipe for Crisp-Cooked Sunchokes or Garam Masala, but... Joy is my home.
I've only tried about 3 recipes from this book so far. And I have to admit, I checked the Joy equivalent for each one. And where they differed... I sided with Joy. It's a trust thing! Joy has never let me down!
I'll keep trying this one out, but I suspect that Joy will always get the final word.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Cook Everything.

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia so funny--I'm also a Joy gir!l

message 2: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti McDermott I started cooling as a child with Betty Crocker and tried to like Joy as an adult, but never felt very at home with it. My bible was the New York Times cookbook, at least until this one came along. This one lives in my kitchen and is the only one to do so right now. It makes me think and leaves room for a little creativity.