Todd's Reviews > Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

Tribes by Seth Godin

Feb 01, 09

Read in February, 2009

I'll tell you right up front that this is a book you'll dismiss or embrace. I'm fairly certain there is no middle ground here. What it comes down to is your willingness to believe you can lead and your acceptance that most folks are sheepwalking.

Seth takes us through a perspective on what constitutes a leader and what leaders do. He explains from his point of view why companies large and small and the individuals within fight to maintain the status quo. But more than that, there are hit home examples of where this leads. You're recognize these. They might even be companies you know.

Where this hits home for most folks though will be those of you in big industry and being cube warriors. You'll see yourself and others and your boss describe here. It's at that point you're likely to get a bit angry. You may even discard the book because it will be a conviction. Are you sheepwalking or can you break free and lead?

But is there a big secret to be found in these pages? Perhaps not for some. It's real secret will be in how it causes you to reflect if you're ready to take charge of a tribe, join one, or continue to wait in fear.

Note, if you've not enjoyed other Seth Godin books, this won't be for you either. If you enjoy his straight forward talk, then this is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tribes.