All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Fifth Grave Past the Light

Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones

Jul 14, 13

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kate

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Charley Davidson is the kind of urban fantasy heroine that I want to be. Barring that, I’d love for her to be my best friend. Since she’s fictional, I suppose it’s a bit hard for that to happen, so in the meantime, I kept myself happy by reading FIFTH GRAVE PAST THE LIGHT, the fifth installment in the Charley Davidson series. Opening up a Charley book is like slipping into your favorite pair of jeans- comfortable and familiar. I sat down and read this book straight through in an afternoon, not wanting it to end, but at the same time dying to know what was coming next.

Our usual cast of characters is back- Charley, Cookie, Uncle Bob, of course Reyes, and all the rest of the people that we’re used to in Charley’s life- ghosts included. While it was a bit hard to keep everybody straight, Jones did a good job of throwing in a sentence or two about everybody’s backstory so I never felt lost. Another thing about Jones is that she is really good about writing relationships- not just the Charley and Reyes relationship, but Charley’s relationships with Cookie, her uncle, and Garrett, for example, all stand out and make Charley and her world seem that much more real.

As we find out more about the prophecies surrounding Charley, and why Reyes is on Earth after all, the paranormal aspects get better and more evolved. The little pieces that get dropped in are starting to make a larger picture, and color me intrigued! Plus, Reyes is one of the most enigmatic heroes ever, still maintaining an aura of mystery after five books, which, for a hero who is pretty much dating our heroine, has got to be some sort of urban fantasy series record. Overall, the combination kept me on my seat, pretty much begging the book (which yes, I realize is an inanimate object) for more details. Add in the smokin’ hot scenes between Charley and Reyes, and you’ve got perfection, in my eyes.

One little thing that bothered me was that at the end of FIFTH GRAVE PAST THE LIGHT, there was a rather traumatic situation that Charley found herself in, and I felt she bounced back relatively quickly compared to in the past. Maybe she’s getting better at dealing, but considering how she went to a therapist in this book to deal with her encounter with Earl Walker a few books back, her fast recovery surprised me and seemed out of character. Who knows though- maybe we’ll see more of the repercussions in SIXTH GRAVE ON THE EDGE, the next book in the series, which I unfortunately have to wait for until at least next year.

So, even though I want Charley all to myself, I do realize that I need to share, and I definitely encourage you to pick up FIFTH GRAVE PAST THE LIGHT. If you’re a new reader to the Charley Davidson series, you should be able to jump in with minimal confusion, though I would highly recommend not depriving yourself of books one through four. And if you’re already a fan, you’re going to love it- from the dead guy trying to buy Charley a drink at the bar on page one, to the startling post-it note from Reyes on the very last page.

Sexual content: Several sex scenes, attempted rape
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifth Grave Past the Light.

07/03/2013 marked as: received-for-review