MeiLin Miranda's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Dec 21, 10

Read in December, 2010

I had to get the actual text; the audiobook just did not do it for me. I have heard so much about this book; all my girlfriends were so a-twitter over its literary greatness that I was almost intimidated opening it. And its slow, rather graceful opening seemed to bear up the idea that it was literary fiction (which I dread).

But no, it's post-feminist bodice-ripper! Yay! Oh yes, it is too a bodice-ripper. Claire doesn't actually get raped by her Jamie, but there are definite elements of the old formula.

This is a well-written romance that tows you right along by the hair, ignoring bedtimes and appointments in its haste to get you to the end. While I'm not as a-twitter as my girlfriends, I enjoyed it greatly. I may or may not go on to book two; I'm told there are eight (!) of these now, and I'm not sure I want to be sucked in, seeing as how I just escaped the vortex that is the Vorkosigan Saga.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindee Davina Porter does an excellent job with this series. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books... and look forward to the one Diana Gabaldon is writing now. Hurry the hell up, already.