All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Age Atomic

The Age Atomic by Adam Christopher

Adam Christopher created a wholly original world in EMPIRE STATE so I was extremely pleased to get a chance to review THE AGE ATOMIC and I’m happy to say that Christopher doesn’t disappoint.

The second book in his Empire State series takes place in 1954 (a good bit of time after the first), yet in the Empire State only a few months have gone by. Even worse the Empire State has been plunged in to a perpetual winter and Captain Carson – who took over the Empire State at the end of the first book – has gone missing. We also catch up with Rad Bradley and meet a new villain, the King of 125th Street.

Meanwhile in the New York of our reality, Nimrod is dealing with some chaos of his own. Atoms for Peace was created by the Eisenhower administration and is being run by Evelyn McHale. Evelyn is captial-C crazy and it doesn’t help that she was turned in to a goddess by the same atomic incident that create the Empire State to begin with.

Confused yet? That’s understandable. Christopher has written a book full of winks and nods to the super hero comics of old, noir detective novels, and science fiction. All of these combine to tell a story so full of twist and turns that I was constantly having to flip back a few pages to remind myself of what the heck was going on. This is a book for people who love that sort of thing and thankfully I’m one of them. You’ve got political intrigue, super heroes and villains, and a cracking good mystery. What’s not to like? My only word of warning though is that this is not a series you can just jump in to. You do need to read the previous volume or you’ll be completely lost. Which is a good thing, because the first book is stellar as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age Atomic.