Simmoril's Reviews > The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation

The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson

M_50x66
Jul 25, 10

Read in July, 2010

I have always been an enormous fan of what Frans Johansson calls "The Intersection"; the concept of taking knowledge in one area and applying it to another seemingly unrelated one. I enjoy reading and learning about a wide range of topics, and I've always dreamed of being able to find a new and interesting connection between them. So when I came across The Medici Effect, I knew right away that this was a book for me.

Frans Johansson's book walks through the major ideas behind the Medici Effect: what it is, how we can experience it, what are the barriers that prevent us from experiencing it, and how we can best benefit from it. At each step, Johansson gives examples from people who have stepped into The Intersection and achieved amazing results from it - an architect designing an building in Zimbabwe, the creator of the most successful card game in history, and a music mogul who created a airline company

Again, I throughly enjoyed this book, because it puts into words something that I've been thinking about on and off for quite awhile; the importance of having a wide range of experiences and knowledge, and finding ways to recombine and reapply them in various situations. Sort of a high-level Macgyver-esque way of thinking, if you will. Even if you're not a fan of this idea, I'd recommend reading the book just for the anecdotes alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Medici Effect.

02/01/2009 page 62