Bill's Reviews > Nineteen Seventy Four

Nineteen Seventy Four by David Peace

Feb 24, 09

Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

This is the second of David Peace's books I have read (the first being The Damned United)the first was good, but for me 1974 is streets ahead. A real stormer of a book. I started it Saturday morning and finished it Sunday night. I am so looking forward to reading the next three in the series.
It has some fantastic prose and brilliant narrative flow. The research seems impeccable. A supreme crime novel and set not just in England but also in an area close to where I now live.
For me you would probably need to be a football (soccer to my US friends) fan to enjoy The Damned United. However if you enjoy a good crime story or indeed just a bloody good story read David Peace's 1974 now!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Seventy Four.

message 1: by Abailart (new)

Abailart I was blown away by The Damned United, and vow to read everything by this guy. When I get time!

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan have you seen my comment on Damned United? I wanted to like it I really did, but..
anyway nice to meet you 70s hippy person

message 3: by Abailart (new)

Abailart I am still stuck finding my way to people's reviews/comments on goodreads. I did see Invisible Cities in the attempt: I believe it is all about Venice. I'm using the section on Leonia (about the rubbish heaps) as text to a phot exhibition soon. And no, it's not pictures of Liverpool at Everton last night! If you rate Nineteen Seventy Four so much higher than TDU, I really look forward to it. The person who gave me TDU rates his other stuff better too.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan haven't read 1974 yet. I was 19 then..

message 5: by Abailart (new)

Abailart Sorry! Tried to cut this when I realised I was responding half to Bill and Half to Alan. I will have to try harder to get fluent with goodreads. Hope you both got the bits intended for each! I was 22!