Sean McGuire's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Nov 07, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, historical-fiction, favorites, fantasy, fairy-tale, adventure-story, retelling
Recommended for: fans of fairy tell retellings, Robin McKinley, and Jane Yolen
Read from December 14 to 20, 2012 , read count: 1

I literally laid on my bed just starring into space for a good five minutes after reading this book, then tweeted that I had end-of-series depression. A tweet that Jessica Day George retweeted.

This book was fantastic. An excellent finale to the series. Every character was unique from all others that have come in the previous two books in the series, Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass. It was honestly a perfect finale to a perfect series. On a scale of five stars, I'd give it 10. Some things were predictable, of course, but the ride to the predictable points was an enjoyable one,and some truly unexpected things did happen, and there may have been a red herring thrown in that was kind of not so much a red herring after all. So it was completely brilliant.

I could wax poetic all day on the things I loved about this book and this series, but I'll conclude with how awesome it is that Jessica Day George puts the knitting patterns in the back of each book in the series. I mean seriously, the Princess series is easily the only teen series that does that. Unique and original, just like everything about this series. This will forever hold a spot on my shelf with Robin McKinley, the The Children of Green Knowe series, and Jane Yolen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.

12/14/2012 page 26
7.0% "Definitely starts with a bang, to be sure! I love how distinct Petunia is from her elder sisters Rose and Poppy. Can't wait to get more into it."
12/16/2012 page 60
17.0% "Oliver needs to kick Kestilan's patooty and needs to marry Petunia, like, yesterday, because seriously they are fantastic. Also, Grigori is a douche."
12/17/2012 page 131
38.0% "Omg this is getting so good. And Hyacinth screamed "You bastard!" to the King Under Stone. I would have laughed if I wasn't so absorbed in the tension."
12/18/2012 page 199
59.0% "I really like Petunia. A lot. But the girl fell for the stupid rose bush trick! Ugh, Petuniiiiaaaaa, how could you fall for that?!"
12/19/2012 page 237
70.0% "I am rolling in feels for every character and I'm so depressed that I'm almost done it's the last book because this is one of my favorite YA series ever. :("
12/20/2012 page 336
100.0% "I'M DONE. Cue end-of-series depression!"