Nancy's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

1956252
Feb 01, 09

bookshelves: award-winner, midwest-us, american-history, true-crime, 19th-century
Read in January, 2007

My husband has been reading this book at the same time as me and finds the architectural references the most interesting. I have to admit that I’m more fascinated by the mass murderer H. H. Holmes—especially after reading that the last woman he enticed and married was named Georgiana Yoke from Franklin, Indiana. They caught him before he was able to kill her. I couldn’t help wondering if she was an ancester of my brother-in-law and after calling him, discovered she was his great aunt—quite a coincidence. I thought the book was interesting, but it didn’t captivate me like I’d hoped. It was a strange time in our country’s history and I was surprised to learn about how so many products we’re used to today were a result of having been developed for the Fair—like Shredded Wheat, Aunt Jemima’s Pancakes, Juicy Fruit Gum, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Cracker Jack, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.