Blair's Reviews > The House at Midnight

The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse

Nov 20, 14

bookshelves: secret-history-esque, 2000-09-release, favourites
Read in February, 2009

Absolutely excellent! I was instantly gripped and devoured the whole book within a day. The intrigue is subtle rather than overtly dramatic, but I found myself fascinated by the characters and their relationships, and desperate to know more about them. I loved the way their histories unfolded slowly as the story progressed, turning each into a wholly believable personality - after finishing the book I realised I had come to picture them so vividly that I found it shocking to think of them as fictional. I was left a little frustrated by the ending, but I think this was because I had become so absorbed in the story that I naturally wanted to keep reading about the protagonists' lives. I actually liked the fact that some loose ends were left (Greg's ultimate fate and Jo's career issues, for example); it enhanced the realistic feel of the novel. It would perhaps be going too far to say this book is a masterpiece or a classic, but it's certainly a fantastic debut and, on a personal level, I can find very little fault with it. I think this is partly because I saw a lot of similarities between the narrator and myself; but the book was also one of those rare, wonderful discoveries that really makes me want to write. My only regret is that, in my hunger to know more, I raced through it instead of taking my time to enjoy the subtleties of the plot. I'll definitely re-read this in future, and next time I'll make sure I savour each development slowly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Midnight.