Erin's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Feb 01, 09

Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

Another wonderful Sedaris read! This one is a collection of stories previously published in his other books, as well as some new ones, all relating to the holidays. David Sedaris is one of the few authors whose works make me laugh out loud.

My favorite story of his is called "Six to Eight Black Men," and it describes how different Christmas traditions are elsewhere. The title comes from a conversation he has with a Dutchman, who claims that St. Nicholas dresses like the pope and lives in Spain; also, instead of elves, he brings six to eight black men with him. If a child has been bad, St. Nicholas and his men will beat the child.

"A Dutch parent has a decidedly hairier story to relate," he writes, "telling his children, 'Listen, you might want to pack a few of your things together before going to bed. The former bishop of Turkey will be coming tonight, along with six to eight black men. They might put some candy in your shoes, they might stuff you into a sack and take you to Spain, or they might just pretend to kick you. We don't know for sure, but we want you to be prepared'" (151).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.