Laura's Reviews > Lucky Streak

Lucky Streak by Carly Phillips

Jun 15, 09

bookshelves: ebook, romance-contemporary, 2009, eharlequin-monthly, store-eharlequin
Read in June, 2009

The second in the Corwin family Trilogy. A solid 3 3/4 stars.
So much better than the first book! This book centers around Mike Corwin, son of Edward, the eccentric brother. Mike became a cop to keep order in his life that he never had with his "out there" father. Mike meets Amber Rose while in Vegas for his partner's wedding. It is instant attraction and it all begins.
Here's what I liked:
I loved the chemistry between the Mike and Amber...there is plenty of work up to it and it works. It is night and day between them and Derek and Gabrielle in the first book. I figured out why I disliked the first book so much while reading this one--on the top of that list was the characters. Derek and Gabrielle made appearances in this book and I found myself wanting them to leave...they annoyed me (mostly Gabrielle--she is way too shallow). Mike and Amber were better characters with more depth. I wanted to like them and I wanted them to be happy--that is a good thing.

The relationship between Mike and Amber was more "real." They went through a "get-to-know-you" phase and worked on finding out if they really could make it work.

The "suspense" part of the book was small, but good--it played well into the storyline. It wasn't over the top and it kept the plot developing.

Also, there was plenty of closure for the family in this one. I felt like the last book flopped at the end. This one not nearly as much (although it did a bit).

Here is what I didn't like:

I did find that that last chapter of the book has me skimming--to much detail about nothing. She got up, took a shower, brushed her hair, made breakfast, blah, blah...how does that add to the story?

The ending is a little anti-climactic, but it was okay. Similar to the first book where it just seems to fizzle a little at the end.

The medical reasoning at the end of the book seemed a little off to me. I think some details were left out--some things were mentioned, but a clear diagnosis wasn't told. It left me a little unsettled.

The neutral:

This book also set up the last book in the series. Jason, the third Corwin cousin, is introduced at great length and his story is set up I'm sure to get excitement for the last book in the series. I'm looking forward to it, but I don't need it the day it is released. Since this book was an improvement on the first, I'm hoping the last will be even better.

Overall opinion:
Liked it! Glad I stuck with the series after I disliked the first one. Carly Phillips really is better than Lucky Charm and Lucky Streak proves it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Streak.